This is a sponsorship for your spouse or common-law partner who lives with you in Canada, or your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner who lives overseas. The critical thing is to satisfy the visa officer that the relationship is not one of bad faith, meaning that the couple must prove that the marriage or relationship is genuine. A relationship contracted with the sole aim to acquire permanent residence (a marriage of convenience) can be detected by the officer, and the outcome of such applications is usually refusal.

Application Considerations by IRCC Officers

Though you met the eligibility to sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner who is at least 18 years old, the immigration officer would also be looking at the following pointers in your application.

  • The spouse/sponsor familiarity of each other's histories and circumstances
  • Duration of relationship before the marriage celebration
  • Age difference and social status
  • Any previous marriages and divorces
  • Validity of marriage celebration—in person or proxy
  • Employment and financial status
  • Differences in family background, culture, and language
  • Attendees and location of marriage
  • Inadmissibility concerns

The officer typically looks for inconsistencies in the information provided in the application and during interviews.

Are there reasons why you cannot sponsor?

Indeed, there are several reasons you may not be able to sponsor, and your sponsorship application could be denied if you do not address the issues beforehand. However, we are experienced in assessing your specific situation to identify such reasons and help mitigate them.

How We Can Help

There is no doubt that the Spousal Sponsorship application requires enormous paperwork, time, and effort for the applicant. Our consultants can assist applicants in organizing the documents which prove that the marriage is genuine and will complete the administrative tasks necessary for the application. In addition, we can help with applying for an open work permit for the spouse being sponsored if they are already living with the sponsor in Canada while the PR application is being processed.


The increase in the application intake for this program shows the Canadian government’s support for family reunification. The wealth of knowledge and experience that parents and grandparents pass on to younger generations is beyond measure. Children who share their family home with their grandparents benefit in many ways from these close and supportive relationships.

Many Canadians and permanent residents that meet the sponsor eligibility and want their parents and grandparents to reside permanently in Canada can achieve it through this sponsorship program. However, sponsors must financially support parents/grandparents and their dependants and ensure they will not depend on social assistance from the government.

How the program works

The process starts with submitting an online interest to sponsor form when the IRCC makes the call. Then, sponsors are randomly selected and invited through email to apply.

Under the program, applicants can sponsor their parents and grandparents. They are not permitted to sponsor their in-laws but can co-sign their in-laws’ applications. One critical requirement in this program is meeting the required income bracket to financially support the sponsor and their dependents (spouse/partner and children). In this program, the selected sponsor must submit an online application package for sponsorship and permanent residence applications for the people being sponsored.

How does Elboniel assist applicants?

Our consultants at Elboniel prepare your sponsorship application and your parents’ and grandparents’ permanent residence application. We will represent both parties, communicate with the IRCC, and help with providing additional information and documentation during the application processing time.

Book a consultation today

Our knowledgeable consultants are ready to walk you through the process, review your eligibility, and answer your questions.


Canadian citizens and permanent residents have many reasons to sponsor their children later, and we are here to assist you. The application process for sponsoring your child can be challenging—requiring many documents and ongoing communication with IRCC. In addition, the child or children being sponsored will be financially dependent on the sponsor for their everyday necessities. They should not seek social assistance from the Canadian government under normal circumstances.

Who qualifies as eligible dependents?

These are your children or spouse’s children under 22 years old, unmarried and who do not have a common-law partner. Any child that depends financially on the parents “since before they were 22 and can’t financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition” Know the requirements for your dependent children

Our consultants will submit your application for sponsorship with your child’s application for permanent residency. We scrutinize the application documents before submission to ensure they meet the documentation required for the program and maximize your chance of success.